Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: 816's fitted with Klipsch Cornwall components

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member altec-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2008
    Posts
    40
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    816's fitted with Klipsch Cornwall components

    Finially found a use for those cut down A7 pseudo 816's (Vb 6.5 ft3 tuned to 34Hz). Whilst I was in the process of doing up a pair of 1984 Klipsch Cornwalls I thought I might try the Cornwall components in the pseudo 816 boxes I had lying around. What a surprise as the sound was excellent. I was getting the same amount of bass as the larger Altec equipped A7's probably due to the fact that the VAS of the Kilpsch K33 is half that of the Altecs 416/515 varieties. The specs of the K33 is as follows;

    Fs - 34.46Hz
    Vas - 10.65 ft3
    Qts - 0.390

    I know most people would frown on this concept but if it works who cares I say. What I did find was that the lower mid bass sounded much better in the 816's than the original ported Cornwall boxes. There seemed to be a better match with the horn loaded bass and mid / tweeter horns. The vented box just didn't seem to keep up with the horns. Just got to decide whether to lay the boxes on their side as to reduce their floor print or leave as they are.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 816's fitted with Klipsch Cornwall components

    Quote Originally Posted by altec-man View Post
    Finially found a use for those cut down A7 pseudo 816's (Vb 6.5 ft3 tuned to 34Hz). Whilst I was in the process of doing up a pair of 1984 Klipsch Cornwalls I thought I might try the Cornwall components in the pseudo 816 boxes I had lying around. What a surprise as the sound was excellent. I was getting the same amount of bass as the larger Altec equipped A7's probably due to the fact that the VAS of the Kilpsch K33 is half that of the Altecs 416/515 varieties. The specs of the K33 is as follows;

    Fs - 34.46Hz
    Vas - 10.65 ft3
    Qts - 0.390

    I know most people would frown on this concept but if it works who cares I say. What I did find was that the lower mid bass sounded much better in the 816's than the original ported Cornwall boxes. There seemed to be a better match with the horn loaded bass and mid / tweeter horns. The vented box just didn't seem to keep up with the horns. Just got to decide whether to lay the boxes on their side as to reduce their floor print or leave as they are.
    You got the right idea, if it works and sounds good, you've got something right! I find too many people that are hooked on specs and they need this or that, or special wire, or power conditioning, or some other snake oil to make it better.

    If it sounds good and you like it, then it's right, at least till you change something and it sounds better!

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    816's fitted with Klipsch Cornwall components


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: 816's fitted with Klipsch Cornwall components

    The Klipsch is basically a high end Eminence unit. Far from being a bad speaker.

    I think the LF in many cases is pretty decent but the mid bass isn't as clean as Altecs.

    BTW is there a place to get TS parameters on K33 and K43 units? I went to the obvious places and couldn't find them.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  4. #4

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    816's fitted with Klipsch Cornwall components


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: 816's fitted with Klipsch Cornwall components

    Actually was wondering about a general list...someone is offering a trade on some k43-K's

    Dirt cheap but didn't see specs anywhere

    Guess I could email Eminence I know a couple guys there.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.